Monday, April 16, 2007

A Typical Day in the Life of Catherine


Catherine wakes up at 8 am, crawls out of her baby bed, moves a kids-size chair over to the bedroom door, opens the door, and comes downstairs. She sees that Lincoln has taken off his PJs (he was hot) and decides to imitate him. So off come her PJs and diaper before I can give her a good morning hug and kiss. I put on her first outfit of the day and make her a bowl of Cheerios. She eats all of the Cheerios out of the bowl with her spoon and I think "Wow, she hardly spilled any of the milk" and turn to the sink. Mistake. I hear Lincoln say "Mommy, Catherine has made a big mess." I turn and see that she has emptied the milk on the table and is attempting to crawl across the table to where Lincoln is coloring and "writing his letters". I scoop her off of the table and clean up the milk.

It's now 9am, Coleman has woken up (he was up at 6am, ate, and went back to sleep). I sit in the recliner/rocker to feed him. Lincoln is watching something on TV and Catherine is here and there. I try to keep up with her by listening to where she goes. She is playing with Lincoln's Magnets and legos... so I think. It is nearing 9:30 am. I have completely fed Coleman and burped him twice. I turn to find Catherine and notice she isn't where I thought. She is like a stealth fighter- she goes undetected. I call for her and she enters the room without her pants or diaper and with her sleeves on both arms very wet. I know exactly where to go- toward the bathroom at the laundry room.

Catherine loves the toilet, she would sit on it and flush it over and over if I let her. And sure enough, she has visited this one. There is a collapsible crate in front of the now open bathroom door. She needed that one inch collapsed crate to elevate her to the door knob. Her pants and diaper are on the floor in front of the toilet. Her potty seat is on there crooked. And there is toilet paper in the clean potty and wet toilet paper on the floor around the potty which explains the wet sleeves. Ick!

I clean up the bathroom and put the crate on the washer to keep her from entering that bathroom again. I walk back through the den to get outfit number 2 and then the 4 of us go to Walmart. We had a great trip- everyone was well behaved. I put away the cold stuff and sit to feed Coleman again. I just KNOW that Catherine can't get in any of the bathrooms so I don't pay as close of attention. When I get done feeding Coleman, I find Catherine sitting on the floor looking at a book. "How sweet" I think as I go prepare their lunch. Catherine apparently followed me in the kitchen because I hear her say "uh oh". Dreading what I am about to see, I turn around and see Catherine with her pants down around her shoes, no diaper, pointing to her pants. They are wet. So I go back to the den and see that not only was she reading a book, she was tinkling on my carpet. Lovely! However, it could have been worse (And the worse did happen later in the day on the hardwood floor. I am just trying to cover the morning).

After lunch, Coleman is ready to go to sleep. I walk up the stairs, put him in his bed, and come right back down. I don't see Catherine in the den with Lincoln. Knowing she can't be in the bathroom again I look down the hallway just to make sure. And right there before my eyes is a Jack in the Box right in front of a now open bathroom door. To know what happened next, please re-read the second half of paragraph 3.

Should anyone ever wonder why things don't get done around here? This was just Catherine's account from the day. There are 2 other accounts that could be told.

God has blessed me with a precious little girl. She gets into everything but keeps life interesting! Know that I am lovin' it despite the bathroom mishaps.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Laura,
I think I might just copy and paste this one onto my blog! Sounds like a day here at our house! Keep the posts and pictures coming! Love keeping up with the kids this way! Love you, Sarah

Jenny said...

She and Micah could be very good friends!