Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lincoln
Lincoln was watching intently as I painted Catherine's toe/fingernails yesterday. I was telling Catherine how pretty they looked and was complimenting her for how still she was sitting. Lincoln, must have been feeling left out, because he said "Mommy, my head is telling me that I want to be a girl." He went on to say that girls got to do fun stuff- paint nails, wear make-up and jewelry, etc. I told him that God made him a boy for a special reason. I had him recall how he and Brad play ball outside and Catherine watches nearby. We talked about how that was a special thing that just he and daddy do. I mentioned that he if were a girl, he might not think that was fun. That seemed to satisfy him- his head hasn't told him anymore that he wants to be a girl.

Clarification for my purposes: Cat. doesn't play ball w/ them right now not b/c she's a girl but b/c she's too small for what they were doing. We encourage Catherine to play whatever she wants whether its boy or girl toys. I just needed an example for Lincoln and that is what popped into my head. We do the same for Lincoln, however, you should have seen Brad's face when Lincoln said he wanted to play w/ a baby doll like Catherine. We gave it to him, it wasn't long before he slung it across the room. No motherly instincts there! :)

No comments: